Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

Change Date of an email

Last post 07-03-2018, 21:15 by Mal. 27 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (28 items)   < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-06-2017, 19:26

• irelam is not online. Last active: 07-18-2018, 6:12 irelam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2007
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • SuperStar
    • Points 19,565
    • BetaTeam Moderator

Re: Change Date of an email

I would suggest you identify the cell phone ISP, and pass back to him/her the following text from RFC822:

A.3.  COMPLETE HEADERS

A.3.1.  Minimum required

Date:     26 Aug 76 1429 EDT        Date:     26 Aug 76 1429 EDT
         From:     Jones@Registry.Org   or   From:     Jones@Registry.Org
         Bcc:                                To:       Smith@Registry.Org

Martin

•  04-14-2017, 16:19

• PaulW is not online. Last active: 17 Jul 2018, 9:58 PaulW
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-08-2007
    • UK
    • SuperStar
    • Points 18,090

krkj:

I have a problem similar to franc's:
    My cell phone service provider sends me emails without the field 'Date: '.

Again: Emails should conform but when they don't (as with malformed HTML email) it would be nice to easily deal with them anyway.

I sympathise with you.  Not a lot has changed in the 10 years since I wrote those original comments.  Unfortunately, when messages get through without a date, the contents of the Date column in the folder listing is sometimes misleading - belonging to an adjacent message and not blank.

•  07-01-2018, 14:24

• Mal is not online. Last active: 07-03-2018, 21:15 Mal
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-10-2013
    • Points 335

irelam:

There is an easier way to edit an incoming email message.  While the message is in the New Mail "folder" (ie c:\pmail\mail\username) you can right click on the message in the message list and select Properties. There you will find the filename (*.CNM).  You can then use Notepad type editors to correct or add  a Date: line

Martin

When I change the timestamp in the C folder using a file date changer or attribute changer, it changes it in the c file but when I open Pegasus New Mail Folder the date is back to today's date. How can I get it to save it to the date changed?

•  07-02-2018, 18:04

• irelam is not online. Last active: 07-18-2018, 6:12 irelam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2007
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • SuperStar
    • Points 19,565
    • BetaTeam Moderator

Close Pegasus Mail, then do the edit, and restart Pegasus Mail. I think there was a read-only hold on the file so it couldn't be updated.

HTH   Martin

•  07-03-2018, 12:17

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-10-2013
    • Points 335

irelam:

Close Pegasus Mail, then do the edit, and restart Pegasus Mail. I think there was a read-only hold on the file so it couldn't be updated.

HTH   Martin

Thank you for your response. The read-only is off and still doesn't show the changed date on the Date Sent.

BTW is there an option to be notified when I get a response? 

•  07-03-2018, 13:44

• Brian Fluet is not online. Last active: 07-17-2018, 23:03 Brian Fluet
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 20,925

I wonder if there is confusion between file date/time stamp and what Pegasus Mail displays as the Date/Time.  Pegasus Mail pulls from the headers of the message so you must edit the date/time in the headers of the raw new message file (.CNM).

As for how to receive notifications of responses, see the "Email" tab in your forum profile for options.

•  07-03-2018, 18:42

I'm not even subscribed to this thread, but it keeps sending me updates!

UNSUBSCRIBE ME!!!

•  07-03-2018, 19:07

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 20,925

Melissa2011B:

UNSUBSCRIBE ME!!!

Check your forum subscriptions to see if you are subscribed to the Pegasus Mail Suggestions forum.  It's the "Forum Subscriptions" link in the upper right of the main forums page.

•  07-03-2018, 19:55

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-10-2013
    • Points 335

Brian Fluet:

I wonder if there is confusion between file date/time stamp and what Pegasus Mail displays as the Date/Time.  Pegasus Mail pulls from the headers of the message so you must edit the date/time in the headers of the raw new message file (.CNM).

As for how to receive notifications of responses, see the "Email" tab in your forum profile for options. 

What do you mean by "edit the date/time in the headers of the raw new message file (.CNM)". When right-clicking on the folder in C:\Pmail\mail\xxxxxxxx.cnm  I changed the attributes and modified the date and time stamps. Is this not the right place to change the date and time?

And thank you for your notifications instructions.

•  07-03-2018, 20:20

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 20,925

As was previously mentioned in this thread you must identify the new message file by right-clicking on it in the new mail folder list and selecting "Message properties...".  In there you will see the filename.  If it shows "stored in folder" close then reopen the new mail folder and check again.

Once you have that new message filename (it will be in the format ????????.CNM), use a text editor like Notepad to open that file.  Look for the Date: header entry.  That is the information Pegasus Mail uses to display Date/Time. 

Keep in mind that what Pegasus Mail displays and what the header contains may be different if you have timezone correction enabled.

FWIW, it is far too common for sending mail servers to be configured without, or with an incorrect time offset.  This affects the accuracy of the time displayed by Pegasus Mail.  For instance, if someone sends from UTC -5:00 but their mail server is configured at UTC 0:00 (no time offset) then the time displayed by Pegasus Mail is going to be off by 5 hours.

Note:  You can view the Date: header from within Pegasus Mail using the Raw view tab. No editing from there though.

•  07-03-2018, 20:28

Brian Fluet:
    Melissa2011B:

UNSUBSCRIBE ME!!!

Check your forum subscriptions to see if you are subscribed to the Pegasus Mail Suggestions forum.  It's the "Forum Subscriptions" link in the upper right of the main forums page.

I HAVE ALL EMAILS SHUT OFF, FROM THIS SITE, IN MY PROFILE, AND AM STILL GETTING REPLIES TO THIS THREAD! 

•  07-03-2018, 20:49

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 20,925

No need to scream, I'm just trying to help.

Might be that you're subscribed at the discussion level.  Each discussion has an "Enable Email Subscription" or "Disable Email Subscription" button depending on its subscription status.

•  07-03-2018, 21:15

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-10-2013
    • Points 335

Brian Fluet:

Once you have that new message filename (it will be in the format ????????.CNM), use a text editor like Notepad to open that file.  Look for the Date: header entry.  That is the information Pegasus Mail uses to display Date/Time. 

Got it! I didn't realize that the entire file needs to be opened and edited. I thought it could just be changed with a Change Attributes program when right-clicking on the file. I tested it and it works. If it's a large file with attachments though it would probably take quite some time to open by Notepad or Wordpad.

"Note:  You can view the Date: header from within Pegasus Mail using the Raw view tab. No editing from there though." I noticed that and realized it cannot be edited from there.

Thank you for your assistance and for taking the time to explain it thoroughly.

Page 2 of 2 (28 items)   < Previous 1 2
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page