Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

SMTP problem when I travel

Last post 05-19-2018, 5:41 by Jim Adney. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-15-2018, 2:16

SMTP problem when I travel

I am running into an SMTP problem whenever I travel.  I live in NE Ohio and when I try to send messages from, say, Chicago, or Portland, Oregon, or Brussels, Belgium, or Kinshasa, DR Congo, I get the following type of message returned to me:

To:                 Self
    Subject:            Mail Delivery Failure.
    Date sent:          Thu, 29 Mar 2018 03:35:13 -0400

Delivery has failed on the enclosed message for the following
    reasons reported either by the mail delivery system on the mail
    relay host or by the local TCP/IP transport module:

334 534-5.7.14
       <https://accounts.google.com/signin/continue?sarp=1&scc=1&plt=AKgns
       bts

Your original mail message follows:
    --------------------------------------------------------

X-PM-Identity: <Default>
    To: z
    Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 03:35:05 -0400
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Subject: From Brussels
    Reply-to: me@mydomain.net
    CC: g-mail <me@gmail.com>
    Message-ID: <5ABC9729.6539.22F8619@me.mydomain.net>
    X-Confirm-Reading-To: me@mydomain.net
    X-pmrqc: 1
    Return-receipt-to: me@mydomain.net
    Priority: normal
    X-mailer: Pegasus Mail for Windows (4.70)
    Content-type: text/html; charset=US-ASCII
    Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT
    Content-description: Mail message body

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
              "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html (message text here) </html>

My first issue is that this message is hard for me to understand, telling me very little about the reason for my sending failure.  If there was a way to "retry" or "resend" I could at least avoid having to recreate the message from the sent log.  However, more than likely it would continue to fail until I could clear the error.

In this particular case, I was trying to use smtp.gmail.com as my smtp server and I assume that gmail refused my connection because I was sending from an unfamiliar network (at the Brussels airport instead of at my home).  Sometimes, if I wait long enough, I can log into my gmail smtp account (I use a dedicated gmail account for this purpose), find a warning message and clear my address for sending.  However, there are three problems.  First, if I am in a hurry, I don't have time to wait for the message to show up in gmail (which I have to access via a browser since I can't send using SMTP).  Second, there are times when no message ever shows up in gmail.  Third, when I am "up-country" in DR Congo, I don't have a good enough internet connection to use a browswer to grant myself permission to send using smtp.gmail.com.

Note that this problem isn't limited to smtp.gmail.com.  In fact the reason I switched to gmail was that mail.twc.com gave me the same type of difficulty and I have had the same problem with other smtp servers.  Once when I was in Korea I had to contact a friend who managed an Internet provider, give him the ip address of my laptop where I was plugged into the Internet, and then he was able to make an exception for me.

Is there a more elegant solution to this ongoing problem?  

Is there a mail service provider that has an elegant way to resolve this problem?  

Is there something I can do in Pmail to work around this problem?
  •  05-15-2018, 9:05

• FJR is not online. Last active: 2018-05-17, 16:57 FJR
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-10-2007
    • Dortmund / Germany
    • Star
    • Points 7,175

Re: SMTP problem when I travel

Hi,

search for "Google 334 534-5.7.14" on Google (you are not alone with this problem) or follow the link in the errormail. It seems Google has changed security policies last year. You may have to allow other locations than home or may have to accept Pegasus (may be Google classified it as less secure application) ...

And at least ... you typed in me@mydomain.net which I assume is not your mail address at gmail. Will gmail relay for you with that domain?

greets    Olaf

•  05-15-2018, 18:05

Thanks for the response, Olaf. 

You are correct that me@mydomain.net is not my gmail address.  I am being (overly?) cautious about making everything public.  The address I use is smtp.cwickstrom@gmail and I only use it for this purpose and only check it for messages when I run into problems like this.

In Pmail, here are my settings. 

I have played around with the "Use an alternate email address for the SMTP envelope" and "Use this domain name in the HELO/EHLO server greeting" options, but I am not tech savvy enough to know what they actually accomplish.  So far, it seems to me that, no matter what my settings, using smtp.gmail.com passes along my message as coming from my gmail address, not my original address.  In contrast, when I use mail.twc.com as my smtp server, the messages appear to come from my true address. 

From appearances, gmail seems to accept my message and then resend it from my logged in address (smtp.cwickstrom@gmail.com).  In contrast, twc.com seems to effectively bounce my message so it seems to be coming from me@mydomain.net.

HOWEVER, regardless of which smtp server I use, when I travel I have trouble sending smtp messages.  So long as I am working in a location with high speed internet, I can work around this by using a browser based application to send mail (although doing so really makes management of mail difficult).  However, I will soon be spending a lot of time working with very low speed connections where browser access may not be convenient or even possible.

Again, Thanks!

Craig

•  05-16-2018, 2:28

v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}

Thanks for the response, Olaf. 

You are correct that me@mydomain.net is not my gmail address.  I am being (overly?) cautious about making everything public.  The address I use is smtp.cwickstrom@gmail and I only use it for this purpose and only check it for messages when I run into problems like this.

In Pmail, here are my settings.